Ratha Yatra translates as "Car Festival" or "Chariot Festival." It is a world-famous Hindu festival, commemorating Lord Jagannath, his elder brother Balbhadra (Balaram), and sister Subhadra, held every year in Puri, Odisha, and other Jagannath Temples throughout the country and world.
Puri Rath Yatra is India's and the world's oldest Ratha Yatra, as described in various Puranas (Mythology) such as Brahma Purana, Padma Purana, Skanda Purana, and Kapila Samhita.
This annual festival is held on Ashadha Shukla Paksha Dwitiya (second day in the bright fortnight of Ashadha month).
The festival lasts 10-12 days and commemorates Jagannath, Balabhadra, and Subhadra's annual pilgrimage to Gundicha Temple via Mausi Maa Temple (maternal aunt's home) in Saradha Bali, Puri.
Rath Yatra History
Why the deities are brought to Gudincha is a subject of discussion in Hindu mythology. According to legend, the gods visit Gundicha, the queen of King Indrayumna, who is said to have built the temple. Goddess Lakshmi, Lord Jagannath's wife, is said to visit the Gundicha temple on the fourth day of the celebration to visit her husband.
The deities are returned to the Jagannath Temple at the end of the nine-day session. The journey is known as the Bahuda Jatra or the Jagannath Yatra, and devotees pull the chariots.
Pahandi refers to the procession of the three chariots from Jagannath temple to Gundicha temple.
Nandighosh is the name of Lord Jagannath's chariot, which has 16 wheels. His elder brother Lord Balabhadra's chariot is named Taladvaja and has 14 wheels, whereas Subhadra's chariot is named Padma Dhvaja and has 12 wheels.
Every year, new chariots, the festival's major attraction, are constructed, with preparations beginning at least two to three months in advance. They are made out of wood, fabric, and resin rather than metal or stone.
The raths are disassembled at the end of the celebration, and the wood is used as fuel in temple kitchens.
Thousands of devotees go from all over the world to take part in the celebration to pull the chariots, which is considered a fortunate act.
A massive procession is held while hauling the 45-foot high chariots, with religious melodies playing to the clanging sound of cymbals and plates, as well as drums.
Ratha Yatra Dates 2022
|01 July 2022||Friday||Ratha Yatra|
|09 July 2022||Saturday||Bahuda Jatra|
|10 July 2022||Sunday||Sri Jagannath’s Suna Besha|
|12 July 2022||Tuesday||Niladri Bije|
Rath Yatra Wishes 2022
- On this Rath Yatra, I offer my prayers to Lord Jagannath. I hope this auspicious event strengthens society's peace and goodness.
- Warm greetings on the occasion of the Rath Yatra. On this auspicious day, we bow to Lord Jagannath. On the eve of the annual Rath yatra festival, we pray for Lord Jagannath's divine blessings.
- My warmest greetings to Lord Jagannath devotees all over the world on the occasion of Jagannath Rath Jatra. Jai Jagannath!
- On the occasion of the Rath Yatra, I offer my prayers to Lord Jagannath. I hope the auspicious event strengthens society's peace and goodness.
- Today, on the auspicious occasion of Rath Yatra, we should all pray to Lord Jagannath. The Rath Yatra is a symbol of our Gods' rich heritage and divine aura. God bless and grant everyone's wishes.
- My best wishes for today's Rath Yatra, which will be held across India. I hope and pray that Lord Jagannath's blessings continue to fall on all of us.
- Greetings on the auspicious occasion of the Rath Yatra. May Maha Prabhu Jagannath continue to shower us with his blessings.
- May Lord Jagannath fill your life with the brightest colours of success, prosperity, and happiness. I wish you and your family a happy Rath Yatra!
- The greater your faith in God, the less pain you will experience while pulling the Rath. Invest your power in God and you will receive all of your blessings back. Jai Jagannath!
- May Lord Jagannath abundantly bless you and shower you with the virtue of truth. Happy Rath Yatra to all.
- On this Rath yatra Festival, may every Indian be happy and prosperous. Jai Jagannath!
- Happy Jagannath Rath Yatra! May the felicity and harmony of your relationships be surrounded by his endless love and physical intensity.